How To Make An Awesome Macaroni – No, Not The Macaroni & Cheese
January 5, 2010 1 Comment
Time to share another one of my recipes with those of you have been enjoying it in my place, with my fellow Washingtonians and with the world. I call this one Persian Macaroni. No, not the macaroni & cheese. Unlike the classic macaroni & cheese that adds fat to your love handles and your ass, mine is very healthy and TASTY
It is the same spaghetti you buy from grocery store, but you end up making macaroni out of it. Like my other recopies, it is time consuming, but worth every second of it once you put it in your month. The following instruction is to serve about 5-6 people.
Stuff you need:
. Spaghetti Pasta
. Tomato Paste
. Turmeric. Why? here are 20 reasons for it
. Ground Turkey or Chicken, or beef. Although, it turns out more delicious with ground beef, but I prefer it with Turkey or chicken. Much healthier
. A clean cloth
. Cooking or Olive Oil
. And, of course, a picture of Angelina Jolie
How to make it:
1. Depending on the size of the onion, chop off one or half size into small pieces and fry it in oil. Fry it till it becomes gold looking color. So, you may want to keep the temperature on medium.
2. At the same time slice about 7 to 15 pieces of mushroom (again, depending on their size) and fry it in separate pan.
4. Separately, boil half pot of water and put the spaghetti pasta in to the boiling water for about 5-8 minutes till it is very soft. Make sure to stir it a few times so the spaghetti pasta separate from each other. Once it is soft enough, dump it into a drainer and cool it off with cold water so it doesn’t get sticky.
5. Back to the onion and mushroom frying process. Once, the onion is fried, mix it with ground meat till the meat is cooked. This will take only a few minutes.
6. Then add one small can of tomato paste and fried mushroom to the cooked onion and meat, let them all cook together for another 3 to 4 minutes. Make sure the tomato paste is completely mixed and cooked with the meat.
7. Pour half cup oil at the bottom of the pot and little bit of drinking water. Put the temperature on high.
8. Gently, put the sliced potatoes at the bottom of the pot in oil & water
9. Using spatula, put some of the cold drained spaghetti on top of the potato
10. Then, put one spatula of the meat (that is already mixed with onion, mushroom and tomato paste) on top of the spaghetti.
11. Pour a little bit of salt, pepper and cinnamon on top of the meat.
12. Repeat the process till all the meat and spaghetti are in the pot
13. Wrap the top with a clean cloth and put it on the pot. Turn the temperature on low or medium. The purpose of the cloth is to trap in the steam made inside the pot so the spaghetti doesn’t turn sticky. Let it cook an hour and half.
Done! It is ready to be served
To take out the potato from the bottom of the pot, you need to wait a few minutes till the pot cools off. Alternatively, pour some cold water on outside bottom of the pot. The potato will easily come off using a spoon.
The result is not called spaghetti anymore. It is called macaroni – Persian Style. Don’t ask me why. Just eat it. It is Awesome! You may need to put one spoon of butter on top of the macaroni for better taste. It is will be even tastier if you serve it with a small bowl of yogurt on the side.
Feel free to connect with me via awesomize.me