Job Openings around Washington, D.C. – July 2nd 2010
July 2, 2010 Leave a comment
Teach For America is seeking a managing director of multimedia and online learning for its Interactive Learning and Engagement team. The Managing Director oversees the development of specific multimedia and online products enhancing Teach For America’s training and support and prioritizes requirements for the organization’s corps member-facing websites.
This position will report directly to the vice president of Interactive Learning and Engagement.
The Teacher Preparation, Support, and Development teams work to ensure that new teachers have the initial training and ongoing support necessary to make academic gains and remain lifelong stewards of the movement. The team develops teacher training and staff professional development frameworks, methods, and materials for our pre-service institute and our two-year ongoing training and support program in regions, and drives innovation and consistency in how teachers collect and assess data in order to achieve academic gains with students.
Specific responsibilities include:
Managing a team of specialists in educational media (videographers, web developers) to ensure a high-performance, motivated culture that efficiently creates outstanding results
Overseeing the development of video, online, or multimedia products that enhance Teach For America’s training and support of corps members and staff
Partnering with the Teacher Preparation, Support and Development Teams to create a vision for how multimedia and online technologies-including the use of-will be used to advance Teach For America’s ability to effectively train and support corps members and staff members
Conducting ongoing research about emerging best practices in using multimedia and technology to create learning and support performance in order to continually feed this research into the refinements of overall strategy
Working closely with other constituents, such as web designers, software engineers, videographers, content and training design leaders, and other programmatic leaders, in order to create well-integrated and highly usable products
Ensuring that the organization’s websites possess the features to support the on-demand learning and community needs of corps members
Gathering and prioritizing between the needs and requirements of various stakeholders in order to ensure TFANet, the organization’s corps member and alumni-facing website, is a highly valuable support mechanism for our teachers
Confirming that technical designs of TFANet, built by Teach For America’s technology team, meet the needs of various stakeholders, including end-users
Leading the ongoing evolution of the Teaching and Learning Lab, a sister site to TFANet intended for experimentation
Candidate Profile and Experience Prerequisites
Education and Experience
Previous experience creating or overseeing online and/or multimedia products that promote learning, support performance, and/or enable efficient operations
Bachelor’s degree required
At least 5 years of professional experience
Prior experience in the educational sector preferred
Prior management experience is helpful, but not required
Prior experience in K-12 education is helpful, but not required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ability to think strategically and formulate effective strategies by gathering and synthesizing data, testing assumptions, and structuring problem-solving approaches
Exceptional ability to collaborate and facilitate a processes where multiple stakeholders come together to reach a common goal
Ability to quickly master new information about education, teacher training, and Teach For America’s program model
Ability to thrive in a very fast-paced, self-directed, goal-oriented environment
Ability to effectively manage large, complex projects
Ability to manage others toward ambitious goals
Demonstrate a passion for Teach For America’s mission
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
Teach For America seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
Application Requirements and Process
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit your resume and one-page cover letter with your application.
To link directly to this job listing, please use this link
TMG, based in Washington, D.C., and one of the country’s leading custom-media firms is seeking a freelance/contract web designer to support our web team.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
• Advanced knowledge of digital imaging and illustration with Adobe Photoshop with formal training an asset
• Proficient in Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, The Grid System, and designing smart objects in Photoshop
• Ability to design for optimal user experience – comfortable building and working from wireframes
• Familiarity with online advertising best practices
• Knowledge and demonstrated experience with cross-browser and cross-platform issues (IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome etc.)
• Understanding of typography and branding
• Attention to detail, customer-service orientation, and creativity in problem-solving
• Experience with Macromedia Flash and Adobe Fireworks – an asset, not a requirement.
• Familiarity with Drupal – preferably in designing themes and new modules (quizzes, forums, etc.)
• Experience in mobile apps and/or HTML5 (desired, but not required)
We’re looking for a team player with a great attitude and at least 4-5 years of solid experience.
MUST SEND ONLINE PORTFOLIO to be considered, no exceptions.
This is a great opportunity to work with a top-notch custom media firm with a quality reputation and a fantastic staff.
Please visit our web site at and submit your application and resume (go to: Working at TMG > Opportunities).
Office is Metro accessible.
3. Digital Media and Online Strategy Manager
PFLAG National promotes the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons, their families and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination and to secure equal civil rights.
We are currently seeking a Digital Media and Online Strategy Manager to join our team. This person will lead the development, execution, and assessment of innovative, results-oriented digital marketing campaigns that leverage online communities, social media and related Web 2.0 tools and methodologies.
* Creating, developing, and managing site content, including blogs, social media, and other media; oversight of PFLAG’s content management system
* Analysis of electronic communications effectiveness and development of strategies to improve outreach; training and support of PFLAG staff in leveraging electronic media; spearheading execution of departmental and organizational online communications strategic objectives, including managing relationships with third-party developers
* Development, design, and distribution of all online newsletters, e-mail blasts, and related communications.
Apply by Web site