What’s Next for Clearwire?

With the retail stores Clearwire just opened only two blocks from Awesome DC headquarter 🙂  in Dupont Circle last week, they are now covering 62 regions in the nation. Strategically, what’s next for them?  Will they continue considering themselves to be alternative broadband providers which is supposed to be a DSL replacement that is cheaper and portable, or will they also be selling a 3G/4G handset?

Clearwire has been building its network without handsets (yet) because it doesn’t have a traditional wireless network to drop down from WiMax to whatever network available, so they use Sprint Nextel for their network.

From various sources I have been checking out, it does look like Clearwire plans to introduce two 3G/4G handsets this year. How the carrier markets the devices to us, beats me! Here is one of their recent Ad which I found it pretty cool:

12 Responses to What’s Next for Clearwire?

1. internet everywhere says:

As a an authorized business to business sales and retailer for Clear in DC/Baltimore, I can tell you that there is a lot more to come from Clear. With the investment partners the likes of Intel, Google, Sprint and Samsung, there are 100’s of products in the pipeline that will incorporate the use of Wimax chip sets and the network. Clear has the most Spectrum holdings for 4G, in fact they have more Spectrum to use than ATT and Verizon combined. This means that where you will see ATT and VZ implement caps on its users for the data they can download, Clear will not need to institute such restrictions. In fact, Clear customers use an average of 7GB of data per month, this shows just one advantage of Clear and there position in the field of wireless data. They also have a cost advantage, for a small business who is spending $79.99 per month for an ADSL line for 3Mbps/768, Clear has the unlimited plan of $40 for 6-10Mbps/1Mbps which can be used with a router to bring in either a primary data line or can be used to bond/backup existing data lines…the more interesting play is going to be with the phones asClear will be pushing a niche of video chat with multiple people as well as unlimited plans with 3g/4g/wifi phones…

What are the spectrums clear using?

• Bob Duker says:

More likely they will continue to be the failed second cousine of AT&T.

Like AT&T, they oversell their network’s capabilites and produce substandard results. Not to mention they are having difficulty keeping customers of high-end broadband, as they cintinue to sell coverage in areas their towers can’t contact.

Clear struggles to maintain it tenous hold on its balance sheet as they attempt to gexpand into profitability rather than provide existing customer with reliable service.

2. Clearwire is agressively advertising in the Harrisburg / York / Lancaster Pennsylvania areas. I can only wish them the best!

3. Please correct me if I’m wrong, I understand Clearwire uses the SPRINT/NEXTEL network.

4. harishvadada says:

Like somebody mentioned above it has the most spectrum available for 4G and has no legacy network issues to deal with.That is to their advantage, as they are building up an all-IP flat network that requires minimal OPEX spending in terms of maintenance and having the capability to upgrade to LTE, if and when the need arises.
    All greenfield operators go through the ‘teething’ problems of coverage and network issues as they start out by deploying their networks, which only improves with infill sites and coverage holes getting plugged as the network matures. I think that greenfield operators like Clear help the ecosystem by leap frogging to a better and newer technology and help making the playing field more competitive as most operators in the US, have invested heavily in their 3G and are not willing to go through another life-cycle of upgrades any time soon.

5. spytheweb says:

Clearwire is superslow, if they tried to sell this service in Korea or Japan they would be put in prison. For the same price i pay for 3mbps, in Korea/Japan i could have 100mbps.

6. Irina says:

“I just bought their Broadband service for my new place which is on 6th floor of one of the aprtment building in North of Dupont Circle. I have had it for more than a day now ans still waiting for a signal to connect to the Net. Thank God, I have two weeks to return it :-)”