Unemployment Rates by State – Still sucks

The jobless rate in 37 states and Washington, D.C. fell in May compared to the prior month, as the nation’s unemployment rate fell to 9.7%, the Labor Department said Friday. Meanwhile, six states saw unemployment rate increases, while the rate was unchanged in seven other states.

Even more states tracked gains in payrolls. Nonfarm payrolls increased in 41 states as well as Washington, D.C., while they dropped in just five states.

While the latest state data confirms that the labor market is improving across a broad swath of the country, there’s still a long way to go before employment returns to pre-recession levels. The vast majority of states, 31 and Washington, D.C., still have higher unemployment rates this May than they did a year ago.

Unemployment Rate, by State

Virginia 7.1% 7.2% -0.1 0.3
Washington 9.1% 9.3% -0.2 0
West Virginia 8.9% 9.1% -0.2 1
Wisconsin 8.2% 8.5% -0.3 -0.7
Wyoming 7.0% 7.1% -0.1 0.9

12 Responses to Unemployment Rates by State – Still sucks

1. What do you expect? The real issue is the degree of socialism the Democrats are willing to enact. We are seeing the results of failed economic policy from Barack Hussein Obama and the Democrat Party aka Socialist Party. It is time for them to go and be exposed for what they really are. Democrats are anti-American, anti-freedom, and anti-capitalism.

2. Sean Dunn says:

Is Illinois more awesome than DC? 10.8% woohoo
    The best part is how inaccurate this list is; how about all the biz owners that cannot file unemployment? Or anyone that was 1099 & now outta work. The list goes on..
    MUCH more bleak than these number portray & they don’t paint a pretty pic.

3. Brenda Coxe says:

Really, Michael? Then why did the unemployment rate skyrocket during the Bush administration? Why did interest rates skyrocket during the Reagan administration?

4. Terri Chase says:

Michael’s comment is not based on anything but rhetoric, to claim that Democrats are Anti-American is absolutely ridiculous and the epitome of ignorance.

5. Terri, I love the personal attack. It seems to be taken right out of Saul Lewinski or William Ayers playbook. For the record, I have a BS in Accounting & Business and MBA in Finance, Management and Economics. You may call the comments “ridiculous” and the “epitome” of ignorance, but I could care less.

It is you who needs to read the truth about how the nation is moving more and more towards a European style of socialism where the government shakes down companies for $20 billion on a regular basis. Rule of law is the operative word here that dictates and provides for a rational economy. Americans are trading their liberty for security and likely to have neither from the government.

Government versus private sector spending in the economy has less of an effect; i.e., less of a multiplier effect on economic activity. Moreover, the more government crowds out private investment then the less economic growth will ensue. The latest news from Obama Messiah on job growth was nothing more than a joke. Most of the jobs were temporary Census jobs and very little private sector growth.

Do I agree with Republicans? No. I don’t. The Republicans have played the same spending game resulting in greater deficits. Republicans have in their platform the ideals of smaller government, individual economic freedom, etc. but George Bush Part II proved otherwise. Of course, the Democrats have taken things much further towards Socialism and completely disregard the Constitution as a relevant document for today.

Obama is a very very dangerous person. His ideals have been shaped and molded by persons like Jeremiah Wright, William Ayers and Saul Lewinski. The latter two are radical Leftists that believed in overthrow of the government through force and protest. I foresee very little if any leadership from Obama and his followers. The uncontrolled deficits, government regulation, and incompetent leaders will result in the US no longer being able to control interest rates and monetary policy.

I am sure that radical Democrats read this commentary and will criticize it. That is fine by me. However, the famous quote by Margaret Thatcher is relevant: “The problem with Socialism is that you run out of other peoples money.”

IDEAS HAVE CONSEQUENCES.

6. Mark Labinov says:

Ideas surely have consequences, but ignorance is a consequence on its own. Current economic collapse is a result of the unbelievable, unsustainable greed perpetrated by Reaganomics. It actually created the generation of greedy bastards and culminated in Bush. Obama is a natural reaction to that malady but the malady persists and fights. Mr. Mclendon would be wise to stop trying to pinpoint the problems on ‘ Hussein’ and instead look into the mirror ( no offense). And please, stop all those ‘isms’. It has nothing to do with them. Greed and stupidity know no boundaries. So does ignorance.

7. Kim Barnes says:

Micheal doesn’t like the color of our President. Plain and simple. Yawn @ the usual approach to blast Obama for things that started WAYYY before he ever made it to office. Let the ones who created the problem throw stones at the black kid while we hide our hands in the pockets of hard working Americans.

Bleh @ such stereotypical statements that have no basis. Obama is FAR from perfect, but I can say he is trying to clean up the mess.

I am with you Mark, “Never argue with the ignorant, because they will beat you with experience.”

8. Mark Labinov says:

To Kim Barnes- thanks kindly. I especially like the ignorance quote and that metaphore about ‘hiding our hands in the pockets of hardworking Americans’ That’s excellent description. Ignorance is spreading like fire in this country and it feeds on exceptionalism” ‘we are not like others, we are entitled to the good life..etc’. Obama has many problems but all his problems as a governing person are the same as everyone else’s in his position. And unlike Bush he is not malicious. That shows. So we all must help. That’s the key- Bush and his cronies did not need help- they were just bastards. Obama needs support- he has no malice.

9. Kim Barnes / Mark Labinov,

Both of you are clueless. I base the decision to vote against Obama due to his lack of experience and inability to lead. His inexperience is showing more and more and Obamanots like you and Mark continue to blame Bush.

Kim, I suspect your decision to vote for Obama is due to your race. That is no problem. It is unfair for you to use such a statement on me. Mark is a Liberal who would feel so so guilty if he didn’t vote for Obama because that would be “racist”. Whatever.

Ability and competence should dictate the qualifications for a President. Obama is showing that he has neither. The economy and unemployment rate will continue to worsen while Obamanots continue to blame the Bush Administration.

The real truth is that both of you are socialist and could care less about rule of law. Read quotes from the 1960’s radicals to learn who both of you are. In the meantime, the rest of us will have to suffer from unemployment and no income.

10. Kim Barnes says:

Mark you speak from a logical place. I appreciate that. I have learned that since becoming President, many Obama haters do so because of his color. Nothing more. Even if he did everything right, they would still find something from Bush’s legacy to blame on Obama.

I am not even all that excited about Obama either, but I do know that much of the struggles he face now are from the bad decisions that have plagued this country while Obama was still running for office to become just a senator.

I have supported Republican leaders that were on the right track, and have felt embarrassed by the things some Democrats have allowed to happen because they lacked backbone.

For me it is not a Republican, Democratic, White, Black issue, it is about doing what the people elected you to do. Stop wasting time and money that doesn’t belong to you, stop lying and stealing from the people who entrust you to do your job.

So Mark thanks for being a clear thinker in a time when smoke screens are used to hide indiscretions, and people rage and scream because they don’t have anything else better to do than to cause chaos to cover their scandalous tracks…

It is also amazing how people automatically assume which person you voted for from a post about a whole different issue. Clairvoyance and Idiocy one in the same??? hmmmmmm….

11. Mark Labinov says:

This site really is not for any personal negative definitions, so I examined my two comments and the only aspect I could find was my advise to Mr. Mclendon, to drop ‘Hussein’ and look in the mirror (and I mentioned no offense). For that I was branded with all kinds off tea- party rhetoric definitions by Mr.McLendon. That was rather boring.
    If it wasn’t for Kim I might lose my belief in humanity:). But Kim gives me hope.
    So I am happy I found an ally like Kim and as for Mr. McLendon-I wish him to … maybe meet with Bush on his own or just to meet someone friendly to him instead.
    I said Obama needs our help. I am doing my best on my side, that’s all.

12. Neva Mery says:

On an annual basis, the available job pool in the corporate world is shrinking by 3-5% every year. At the same time we are continuing in the US to train people to work in this system creating a declining job pool, with more people being trained to fill jobs that are disappearing creating huge unemployment. So why are we continuing to train people for jobs that won’t exist? Today the unemployment rate is running around 7.8%, but if we calculate that number in a real sense the number is closer to 15%. How you ask? We don’t count someone as unemployed if they haven’t looked for a job during the last 30 days. Tell that to those who can’t find a job in their field who are unemployed by the true definition.;

Have a look at the best and newest post on our very own homepage
    <'http://www.caramoantourpackage.com/