WiMAX-embedded laptops Coming Out

Clearwire plans to start offering laptops with WiMAX-embedded modems at Best Buy locations and online at bestbuy.com 🙂

Those of you who haven’t been following my coverage on WiMAX and Clearwire, here is their service in a nutshell:

The devices, which include chips from Intel, include the Dell Inspiron 14, Dell Inspiron 15, Dell Mini 10 and Toshiba Satellite M645.  Availability will vary by location. People who sign up for a two-year service agreement are eligible for a $100 discount on selected devices.

Embedding 4G technology into laptops and netbooks makes all the senses and easy for consumers to experience Clear’s WiMAX mobile Internet service which is supposed to be supper fast.

While Clearwire plans to offer a WiMAX-enabled handset sometime this year, the carrier is marketing its service as an alternative to DSL services and as such, the embedded laptops are part of its strategy. For its part, Intel wants to repeat its success in Wi-Fi chips in the WiMAX space.

11 Responses to WiMAX-embedded laptops Coming Out

1. Eric Klein says:

Wonderful news, but is it too little too late? These should have been available a year or more ago based on when Intel released the Atom with WiMAX almsot 2 years ago.

This plus the Sprint phone seem to be a little too little a little too late to get WiMAX off the ground.

2. Are these laptops available in 3.5GHz Wimax as well or just in 2.5GHz spectrum? Does anyone have any details of these laptops availability of 3.5 bands? Who is the vendor of these laptops offered by Clearwire?

Regards.

• Boyd Jones says:

I would be very surprised if they are available in 3.5GHz as most Taiwanese laptop manufacturers time and again tell me that they only really see enough demand in 2.5GHz.

3. Stephen Lane says:

I purchased a Dell Studio 17 with an embedded Intel 6250 AGN Wifi/WiMAX card. I enjoy the extra screen real estate that is not in the Atom models.

Steve, how is the experience with the Internet access? I hear WiMAX has NLOS issue. Have you tried to connect to the Net from your basement?

• Stephen Lane says:

We don’t have a basement, but I am able to use my Wireless-N network throughout the house. Having Clearwire WiMAX is nice while my car is being serviced or my wife is shopping.

4. Akshay says:

what would be the cost as compared to regular laptops?

5. Can we get details about wimax enable laptop?is it support 2.5GHZ?which manufacturers are provide it?how is costing in compare with regular Laptop?

6. Since Clearwire is offering them, then most likely they will be for 2.5 GHz. Currently, some of Lenovo’s (formerly IBM) ThinkPad series have embeded Wimax chips in them. Check their website from more detail.

7. Proprietary WiMAX-embedded laptops operating in 3.5 GHz exists and I have already one under test. FYI, any laptop can be equipped by a HMC (WiMAX Half Mini Card). Performance is comparable to dongle. Further, I have seen more than 10 laptops (from different manufacturer) in Lithuania WiMAX Operator ‘MEZON” that are operating in 3.5 GHz (10 MHz channel).
    Intel was coordinating with many 3.5 GHz WiMAX operators before they launch 3.5 GHz WiMAX-embedded laptops, in order to ensure that the launched version is interoperable with maximum number of operators, their version will be aligned with 3.5 GHz, 10 MHz channel and PUSC/MIMO based core profile.

8. Aside to Edmond.Thanks for your info.I will do the same