Droid X vs. iPhone 4

Those of you in the same shoes as me trying to make a decision between Droid and iPhone 4, here is a comparison chart (courtesy of Mashable). Although, it’s not a complete chart, but a decent one comparing the two.

Perfect timing as I am just about to make a switch from G1 to either iPhone or Droid. The physical keyboard and screen size are the most important things for me.

It looks like both  Droid and  iPhone have many desirable features and some issues too, but my concern would be switching from T-mobile, to either Verizon (Droid)  or At&t (iPhone). I think Verizon is as good as T-mobile, but not sure about At&t.

The Droid X was never meant to beat iPhone 4. At first glance, you can see the Droid X having a good match-up with the iPhone 4. But the issue here doesn’t lie on the specs, but rather on the user-experience.

As for the wireless part, keep in mind, the iPhone 4’s 802.11n support is only the 2.4GHz n variety. It doesn’t have support for the dual-band N variety…thus, if your wifi router is 802.11n 5GHz only, your iPhone will not take advantage of it.

Other thing you may want to keep in mind the Mashable chart failed to mention the Apps. Yet there is a mention of Flash for the Driod, but not HTML 5 for iPhone… also that the iPhone by far has way more available apps than the Driod.

I also wanted to see a little bit mention of CPU or RAM specs… nice beginners chart though.

Here is a video on Droid x:

13 Responses to Droid X vs. iPhone 4

1. Why be a sheep like everyone and follow the “iPhone” flock whn an Android phone has similar capabilities and is cheaper to purchase? Love my HTC Tattoo

2. They all have their pros and cons.

I have an HTC Incredible. I love it. It is faster than my friends iPhone. It has no antennae issues and has worked flawlessly over the past month I have had it.

So Droid Incredible is my choice.

3. Its not about droid and iphone4 yet..its about getting decent phone coverage with ATT..if iphone moves 2 other carriers,,then everyting else is imitation

4. Hi Elias. You may want to expand your search. The characteristics of Sprint’s EVO are amazing. Also plan costs are generally less expensive. In some cities, 4G is a big plus.

5. ade says:

No mention of froogle. As u mentioned 2.1 wasn’t ment to be a 4 killer but it did give the 3gs a good run for its money. If u are also considering a new tv wait until Sept when Samsung release their Android version. Then consider if u want to interact with it from ur phone! 2.2 looks interesting but consider nexus as at least u can up grade the OS on release.

6. Feature charts have their place but it’s impossible to capture the level of usability or user experience offered by a device on a chart. As such you can’t beat actually going and playing with the devices before making a decision. On raw feature count, the iPhone is behind. On user experience it’s still ahead.

PS. If actually making calls is important to you, get the Droid. To me it’s actually a secondary function.

7. Randy Gluck says:

If you are stuck on just these two, then go for the HTC Evo on 4G. Also consider the Palm Pre which has the ultimate multitasking and nice UI. If you truly “need” 10K apps, then the Pre is not for you, there are only about 3K (which works for me)

8. MIchelle Zaparolli says:

II own an HTC legend because of budget reasons, and really happy with it. With vodafone here in the UK is good value for money. USD 28 a month, 500MB.
    But I think that most companies have done iphone apps but no so many android. I think that they are both good but they just different type of customers. Iphone is for those that need to show off their status through their belongings. Android, are those more socialists type or person. It will be good to have apps comparisons.

9. Steve Wolpe says:

It’s really a lifestyle choice. Do you go with the closed Apple system, in which everything is intuitive and integrates beautifully, or with the open Droid system, where things are more messy but innovation happens more quickly and a larger range of options are available? It’s very much like the Apple/Microsoft wars. As far as these two phones, which I’m also considering, the thing that makes me want to look at the Droid is it’s Wifi hotspot capabilitiy. The problem is, the first Droid my wife tried she wanted to smash because it was so unintuitive.

10. Don Gabriel says:

I was consultant for VZW many years ago for their RF coverage and propagation study. As I recall, they were deciding between Nortel versus Motorola switch equipment. We focused on the setting up the proper methodology for all types of RF diversity and doing it right the first time by investing in the right equipment including industry standard compatibility. It was the idea of “future proofing” the infrastructure and to provide to subscribers the best user experience. Regarding the handsets, it is highly subjective to user preference even though the Droid X is technically a better system for development than the iPhone 4G.

11. Both the Droid and the iPhone4 come close to offering a turnkey PCS for me. Sadly, their combined top features are NOT in a single device yet. Even more sadly is that ATT is still the exclusive carrier for the iPhone.
    Droid’s ability to act as a WiFi hotspot is a killer app., but so is iPhone4’s Video Conferencing. And so it goes as we inch our way to a fully convergent device. The immediate deciding factor fro me has to be fail-safe and fast connection. So from what I’ve read, Droid wins. Or does it?
    It will be nice to someday replace the four or five devices I currently use with one.

12. KVG says:

The simple question is, do you want it to be a workhorse device that works as a phone as well as provides lots of productivity tools and entertainment, or do you want it to be a toy with lots of gadgets?

The simple answer is the iPhone coupled with AT&T is a toy first and a phone a FAR DISTANT second. They AT&T network is horrible, especially related to call quality and connectivity. With AT&T and the iPhone 3GS i dropped several calls a day. I have had the HTC Incredible on Verizon for almost a month now and and have not had one dropped call at all.

You make the choice. Do you want a toy, or a communication device? You can have both with a Android device on Verizon.