Sprint Nextel Clearwire Unveil More WiMAX Market Expansion

Either somebody at Sprint Nextel/Clearwire is on crack or all the recent negative reports about the WiMAX are baseless. Sprint Nextel and partner Clearwire continued their full-court WiMAX press yesterday announcing a trio of new markets where service is available as well as a new device set to launch later this year. If most of the reports indicates the decline in growth for WiMAX, why would companies like Sprint Nextel and Clearwire continue investing billions $$$ in it?

Both companies are now offering WiMAX service in Salt Lake City; St. Louis; and Richmond, Va., pushing their total market coverage to around 40 markets. The Sprint Nextel offering is marketed under its “4G” brand, while the Clearwire service is marketed under its “Clear” brand.

In addition to the extended coverage Sprint Nextel unveiled details of its second WiMAX-enabled smartphone, Samsung Epic 4G. The device is based on Samsung’s Galaxy S platform and joins the recently launched HTC Evo 4G with access to Sprint Nextel’s WiMAX service.

Samsung Epic 4G

I really hope there will be more customers showing up at their retail stores in the new market than their store in Dupont Circle, D.C. that they recently opened. The only person I have seen in their stores every time I pass by it, is their lonely sales guy.

15 Responses to Sprint Nextel Clearwire Unveil More WiMAX Market Expansion

1. You don’t have to be on crack to experience FLYING Internet, just subscribe to WiMAX Services. All the panic about WiMAX decline is based on Yota LTE decision and Indian Qualcomm success in securing biggest chunk of national spectrum in favour of TD-LTE. So what… Migrate services to something immature, killing your own business case or just keep on with WiMAX and provision natural migration to TD-LTE when the network reaches the critical mass to become nationwide? I prefer second option, or maybe you guys know any option other than these two?

2. Hassan Naqvi says:

I totally agree with Nick, in my opinion the war between LTE and WiMAX is more a political one rather than a technological one. It was IEEE that came up with the idea of implementing OFDMA in the PHY layer first in their 802.11 and then in 802.16. Another important thing to note is, WiMAX is IEEE standard and IEEE is not known to have an evolutionary path of cellular technologies like they have WiFi and Zigbee on their back, while 3GPP has a complete road of standards from GSM to 3G and now LTE. People speculated LTE as the last standard and then 3GPP’s might was challenged by IEEE. Most of the vendors adopted a biased approach towards the technology right from the natal day and are still adding fuel to the fire.

I have the honor of being part of the team that on-aired one of the world’s first ever WiMAX roll outs by Wateen telecom powered by Motorola. I still remember the days when the CPE used to come online just once or twice during our long and tiring drive tests of 10 hours. This is how unstable a technology was in reality, while on papers had no match. I remember my close collaborations with vendor’s development teams who used to work on our recorded datas and provide makeshift fixes which now became permanent after 5 years of its launch.The same will go for LTE without any doubt. The soon we realize that there is a difference between a technology in theory and the one in practice, the soon this debate will end. I guess, its foolish to compare LTE with 16e, compare LTE with IEEE’s new gem i.e. 16m and then decide for yourself. I am sure 16m will perform much better when launched as it has 16e’s experinece to learn from.

• Wow, so cool to hear your perspective, Hassan.
      As for Clearwire, have you checked out the official blog? http://www.theclearblog.com just posted about the rest of their launches for the year – it will dwarf this trio! Whatever anyone is “on” will make for millions of satisfied WiMAX users 🙂

3. Asser Hassan says:

I’d say crack, or unrealistic expectations from the get-go.

4. Dale Eppich says:

As someone who lost their child to drugs, I not only find your headline extremely unprofessional but also quite offensive!…..Do you find humor in drug use???

Oh come on Dale! That meant to be a joke 🙂

Besides, aren’t you also getting tired of all the mixed reports (pos & neg) about the implementation of WiMAX? One day, we hear good progress, the next day the exact opposite. So, all I am saying is, either most of these reports are baseless or someone at Clearwire or Sprint is not doing a good job.

So, I am simply asking other professionals like you for feedback on this.

Cheers
      Elias

• JIm T says:

Elias,

Dale appears to understand that your intent was to make a joke. That was his point.

Rather than continue to hammer your message, which was already clear, perhaps you could have just offered Dale a simple apology…which you somehow failed to do. I’ve used this expression for years but will now stop using it in light of Dale’s comment.

Dale – as a parent, I am very sorry for your loss.

• Makayla says:

Dale, funny… your family never knew you had a child.

5. narender kumar says:

If there is Fire must be smoke before that ,what you say ?

Jim, thanks for the note. I did send Dale an apology privately. I am a father of two myself so I fully understand. I just didn’t want to leave too many non-related comment to the article here in comment section. Thanks

6. Yes, even from CPE point of view, if someone decides: We are LTE guys starting from tomorrow, will the current choice of LTE devices satisfy your customer’s needs? I am trying to understand, who benefits from this panic and instability as the result?

7. Hassan Naqvi says:

8. Yes, even from CPE point of view, if someone decides: We are LTE guys starting from tomorrow, will the current choice of LTE devices satisfy your customer’s ne

9. Dale Eppich says:

Jim……NO….he never did apologize….he continued to hurl insults…..connect with me on Linkedin and I’ll be glad to forward you copies of his insulting e-mails!

10. Irina says:

“I just bought their Broadband service for my new place which is on 6th floor of one of the aprtment building in North of Dupont Circle. I have had it for more than a day now ans still waiting for a signal to connect to the Net. Thank God, I have two weeks to return it :-)”