iPhone on Verizon or Sprint?
August 9, 2010 Leave a comment
As we are getting closer to the end of exclusivity between At&t and iPhone, Apple has been busy customizing its iPhone to work on networks run by other carriers. The company is gearing up to sell their smartphone either via Verizon or Sprint by early next year.
From various sources including a very good friend of mine who works at Qualcomm, it looks like Apple has ordered millions of CDMA chipsets from Qualcomm. CDMA is the wireless technology used by both Verizon Wireless and Sprint. This means we are going to see either Sprint or Verizon on iPhone sometimes next year – Jan or Feb 2011. The two carriers are the main players in CDMA space.
Given our coverage of both Verizon and Sprint since earlier this year, I would say the order is for Verizon. We’ve been hearing Verizon iPhone rumors for years now.
Not to mention the kick ass Android based EVO 4G Sprint recently launched. I can’t imagine such a large order is for Sprint. Besides, with the following features on EVO, why should Sprint bother with iPhone?
1.Evo using real GPS Sats not tower tranglation.
2. Evo has 8 meg camera. IPhone 4 a 5 meg
3. Evo has two way picture chat working on wifi, 3g and 4g. Iphone 4 wifi only.
4. Evo has flash. which about 40% of the internet is using.
5. Evo has HDMI out which looks ok on a 55 inch LED Screen
6. Evo can be a 4G hotspot check with speedtest.net with my laptop via the evo and I got 5MB down. ATT 3g max at 500k
7. MicroSD memory slot so can add more memory
8. EVO does both data and calls at the same time, if you are on Sprint WiMAX.
On the other hand, although Verizon boasts the largest network and currently has 80 million plus subscribers, it doesn’t have a 4G network – Sprint does. Could it be that Sprint is more ready for and a better bet for the iPhone? Are we going to get surprise News by Apple about the 2nd carriers to sell their iPhone? Anyone?