Awesome Washingtonian of the Day Sept 15, 2010

Name: Magda Johanna Gomez
Live in: Awesome DC
Originally from: Colombia, South America
Profession: Board Agent/ Language Specialist at the National Labor Relations Board
What I love about DC area the most: I enjoy the culture, the architecture and the diversity that the city has to offer.  I relish learning about different cultures and enjoy the museums, the restaurants and the small coffee shops.  I love the fact that people in D.C. actually enjoy and use the streets in comparison to other cities, and there is always a new hole-in-the-wall to discover.
My Favorite Music video: Michael Franti & Spearhead – Say Hey (I Love You)

About me: I just moved back to Washington, D.C. after living in Maryland for over a year.  I was born and raised in Colombia, South America, and have lived in the D.C. Metro area for over 12 years.  I earned a Masters degree in Architecture and Planning with a concentration in Sacred and Cultural Spaces from the Catholic University of America.  There I was particularly proud to earn an honorable mention certificate for the design of Pope Benedict XVI’s altar, chair and ambo competition while he visited the University in 2008.   My main passion, however, is for Labor Relations.  As part of my Master’s thesis, I designed a day labor center and developed a cost effective operation plan to efficiently serve over a hundred workers.  The intent of this project was to pioneer better shelter opportunities for day labor workers, and to alleviate some of the social problems currently affecting various communities of the D.C. Metro area.

Through my current job at the National Labor Relations Board I continue to work on labor issues on a daily basis by investigating various unfair labor practices.  In my free time, I volunteer with various organizations teaching Spanish and English as a second language.  I also volunteer with Architecture for Humanity and the Construction Specification Institute Organization- D.C. Chapter.  I enjoy reading, painting, playing pool, traveling and going out for long walks in D.C. trying to discover new shops, restaurants and interesting people.

Feel free to follow me on Facebook | LinkedIn

Those of you who know me, please, leave your comment here for others to see and make their judgment on their rating.

Check out our previous Awesome Washingtonians.

If you are interested in being featured on our next “Awesome Washingtonian of the day“, using similar format, please send us your bio from our Contact page – ATTN: Awesome Washingtonian.

11 Responses to Awesome Washingtonian of the Day Sept 15, 2010

1. Adriana V says:

She’s super awesome!

2. Jonnee says:

Hi Magda-star! We have to play pool at Bedrock soon.

3. Meg says:

Magda is one of the most friendly, outgoing, and inspirational people I know not only in my travels around the US, but in foreign circles as well. Her amazing work and dedication to others is surely just one of many signs of Magda’s many talents and I can’t wait to see more of what she has to offer in the years to come!

• Magda says:

Hi JonneeStar!!! :)))) We totally should! We need to keep practicing!! 😉 I’ll text you after work!! Cheers!

• Magda says:

Dear Meg!!! Thank you, thank you!!! 🙂 That means a lot to me, especially coming from someone as talented and intelligent as you!! Hope to see you soon! 🙂

4. Oz says:

she’s hot, i would definitly ask her out on a you discover me i discover you date, if i wasnt already dating my new gf 🙂

5. Magda says:

I want to invite everyone interested in art, poetry, music, coffee, tea…among others!? to the art exhibit “Hard Times Require Furious Dancing: The Art Exhibit.” This particular event will celebrate the release of famed poet Alice Walker’s new book of the same title. One of my paintings was selected to be in the exhibit and I am very thankful and excited to be part of it. The exhibit will be hosted by Busboys and Poets located at 5th& K and will run from September 28, 2010 through January 9, 2011. All artwork will be for sale. For more information please visit their site: http://www.busboysandpoets.com/

6. Daniel J. Ocasio says:

The one thing that seperates you from others is that you are always in search of knowledge and new things!
    Mucho Exito!!!

7. Magda says:

Muchas gracias Dani! That is sweet of you!