Image Recognition App for Wine Selection
September 25, 2010 Leave a comment
The online wine ratings and reviews sites, Snooth recently launched their iPhone app for $4.99.
Snooth Wine Pro incorporates image-based wine searching, which allows users to scan wine labels to learn more about or purchase a particular wine of interest. In fact, there’s a whole slew of options once you’ve scanned a wine label, including the ability to:
- See which nearby stores have the wine in stock.
- Compare prices, and view maps and directions to nearby stores
- Add the wine to your Wishlist or Virtual Cellar
- Purchase the wine online through the global Snooth () retail network, which includes more than 11,000 merchants.
- Post your review or read reviews from experts and other Snooth users.
- Browse for similar wines by winery, region, or varietal.
The image recognition technology is powered by TinEye, a reverse-image search engine, and uses specialized digital image fingerprinting to find image matches. Snooth’s Engagement Manager Jesse Chemtob explained, “Since most wine labels are on a curved surface, it can also find images that are slightly rotated, warped, cropped, blurred, have skewed colors, or those that are taken in poorly lit areas.”
Snooth catalogs 2.2 million reviews and 1.2 million wines on the site, making it the world’s largest wine database. Of those wines, 820,000 are searchable via the image recognition technology.
So, if you can cough up $4.99 for this app, here it is on iTunes.
Feel free to follow me on Facebook