awesomize.me: Distinguish Your Qualitative vs. Quantitative Fans & Friends Online
November 8, 2010 9 Comments
Have you ever been curious about the quality of your fans and followers on social networking sites? Out of thousands of your online friends , how many of them really care about you? Or, how do you know the new person you are just about to connect with on Facebook, Twitter, myspace, or LinkedIn, ain’t ganna spam the crap out of you? Since, the explosion of the social media in 2005/2006, questions like these have been on the rise and guess what? it’s even going to get worse. awesomize.me was launched today with the mission to put an end to such fog of concerns.
The site isn’t another social networking site. There are already too many of those. awesomize.me is a new and powerful social interaction engine that will help you to determine intelligently and effectively who you need to be connected with and through which social media channels.
The idea behind awesomize.me came from the Awesome Washingtonian of the day feature we launched back in August when started nominating one Washingtonian per day on our site and let the community to decide how awesome our nominees are by rating them on both professional and social level as well as their potential contribution to the region. We noticed our nominees have been sharing their Awesome DC page with all their fans and followers on their social media channels, then ask them for their votes on Awesome DC. We have users with over 5,000 fans managed to collect only 30-50 votes, we also have users with about 200 fans, managed to collect over 150 votes. Well, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to tell which one has real friends and which one has been just connecting and connecting to anyone anywhere in the world online.
awesomize.me is sort of the same concept, but it’s 100% automated plus a lot more beef, and it’s global 🙂 which means a person living in New York can now be awesomized (rated) by someone living in New Delhi and vice versa.
To provide you with a better understanding of the business concept, let’s look at what happens when you receive an invite for a connection from another user that you do not know! The majority of us will take one of the following three actions:
- Blindly accept,
- Completely ignore the invite, or
- Search on the web for the user by looking in the various different search engines and social networking sites in order to discover more about the person, and determine whether you should accept the connection offer
Missing anything so far?
- How do I ensure that the person I received an invite from is one I need to connect with?
- How do I determine through which social media channel I should connect with the person? (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, …)
- How can I ensure that I am not going to get spammed by that individual?
Here is how awesomize.me tackles this:
- Provides you with one quick page about the user including professional, social, and geographic data.
- Provides you with the ability to see how the community has ranked the user both at a professional and social level.
- Provides Providing you with one site that identifies how the person is linked to you and your trusted contacts across all major social networks. (to be launched in our next phase)
Here are a few screen shots once your profile is up on the site:
After you login, you will enter your high level bio as well as all the social media channels you are member of. Your user profile is structured in main sections.
1 & 4) This is what other users will see and learn about you (minus the menu bar in the left). First section is the high level info about you. Forth section described at the end of description for section 3 below.
2) You will also be able to add all of your favorite videos from youtube to create a video channel/Play list. All in one place. In our next phase, you will be able to mash them into one player so they automatically play back to back. This is my channel. It’s just a screen shot. Don’t bother try playing it:
3) Finally, the community of your trusted peers or anyone else from anywhere in the world will be able to awesomize (rate) you here. Based on these information, anyone who is interested in you, they can connect with you from the gray box titled connect with me (section 4) on top via their preference of social media channels you are member of.
Similarly, once, someone sends you an invite, you can check them out here on awesomize.me to learn more about them before connecting with them or rejecting them.
Our proprietary algorithm will push the top 15 people and companies with highest and best rating to the homepage in real time. Once, we have enough traction, the top three awesome people and companies will receive free Ad space on our site for a limited time 🙂
Here is my user profile live in action. While at it, feel free to awesomize me 🙂
In a nutshell, here is why you will need to be on the site:
- Leveraging the power of voting by local communities, you will be able to see the following in your local community, country, and around the world in real time:
- The most “awesome” people,
- The most “awesome” companies,
- The most “awesome” products (our Phase II)
- The most awesome bands (our phase II)
- To see how your network and non-network rank you and the ability the same for other users by geographic breakdown – city, state, country, and the world
- To help you to determine intelligently and effectively who you need to be connected with and through which social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, myspace, LinkedIn, etc.
Before others grab your favorite user name, feel free to sign up and let me know what you think of the site. You can also sign up with your Facebook login.