Stop Voogling and Ditch AT&T – You will live

Now that AT&T has also decided to join Google and Verizon with their controversial proposal to kill the net-neutrality, it is time to put a leash on these guys before it’s too late.

Those of you new to the subject, here are the recap:

Voogle Wireless (Verizon and Google) announced earlier this week a proposal for so- called net-neutrality rules that would restrict Internet-service providers from selectively slowing content that travels over their wires.  You can read more about it here – The Good The Bad and The Ugly:

AT&T just joined them to support the proposal. The approach would let Verizon, AT&T,  and other carriers discriminate against certain traffic, possibly favoring their own services.

Google, Verizon, and now AT&T claim the mobile-Internet market is different from the wireline one because it’s more competitive and changing rapidly.

How the hell are they different? A content is a f*cking content!  When it comes to the internet, wireless or wired, it is all digital, meaning, everything is just packets of ones and zeros. Choosing which packets are preferential is something a totalitarian country would choose as their model for the internet.

If there is no net neutrality, it is like everyone has the same car, but someone would be choosing which ones can drive faster than others. So, if your data contains something critical of Google or Verizon, the corporate interests of those companies may be so that your packets travel at the slowest pace possible, if at all.

Therefore, net neutrality is the only way forward. They can keep their non net neutral world in places like China, where access to non-desirable content is moderated in different ways.

Before you continue reading, take a break and check out this final warning in a public service announcement that ran on television in the run up to the Internet Freedom Preservation Act of 2007. Ironically, Google made this video:

No matter how much we preach about democracy, everything seems to move toward an economic/censorship entropy. If you review human governments, they all eventually become dictatorships in one form or another. The only difference now? Corporations play a bigger role then they did back when the East India Trading Company had control. More of the same. As the saying goes, there is nothing new under the sun.

What can we do to stop this non-sense?

It’s simple! No need to waste your time demonstrating in front of their office building like these guys did yesterday.

All you need to do is Stop Googling, Ditch your Droid, and dump AT&T! before any other big company decides to join them. We made these guys where they are today, we can also take them down.

- Alternatives to Google: Bing,Yahoo, Social media Channels (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)

- Alternative to Droid: Just go to Wireless category of Awesome DC and pick your phone from other carriers I covered. Ignore my coverage on Droid and AT&T. There were before any of this non-sense.

- Alternative to AT&T services: The shittiest carrier operating in Bangladesh :-)

I think the Android platform is awesome but I’m going to ditch it. What Google is doing is wrong. Yes, they need to make money, but not at the expense of the future of a free and open Internet. No more Google search, maps or gmail for me.

I’m only one person, and probably have absolutely no affect on Big G’s bottom line, but this is what I can do to support the cause. Time to go shopping for a new phone.

If we don’t stop this now, the proposal will allow companies like Google, Verizon, and AT&T to do whatever they want and still hide behind a veil of “We support net neutrality”

Feel free to follow me on LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter

About these ads

19 Responses to Stop Voogling and Ditch AT&T – You will live

1. kamran Abdi says:

This sucks. Hard.

Google and Amazon were the last two companies I trusted out there and now it seems like Google follows the rest of the greedy pack. What a shame.

2. Jen says:

Google, you are breaking my heart. Please don’t be evil. Remember your roots.

3. Henry says:

what ever happened to don’t be evil?

4. Jack 12 says:

google is soooooooo at wrong and it will loose all its users trust and support it has enjoyed in the past and will eventually turn to another microsoft unless it keeps its public image intact. T

5. Steve K says:

Google has always been Evil, just not as blatantly to consumers (ask any business who has been using Adwords or Adsense, or who has been on the wrong side of an SEO battle due to competitive tensions, and they will tell you this).

6. P J says:

I’d think that iPhone would also be considered “wired”: the question is only how the content travels to the consumer in the first place (via wire to your cable/dsl modem). once it hits your router, it doesn’t matter how the content is distributed.

a wireless situation might be if you get content (on your iPhone or laptop) when you connect to WiFi on an airplane (via aircell’s gogo)

7. Sussi says:

Yep. Big multi-billion-dollar corporations sometimes do things not in our best interests.

8. kong30 says:

Don’t be evil my ASS

9. Crazy Reza says:

Does anyone know of another search engine that’s good, besides Yahoo, Google, and Bing? I can’t say I’m a big fan of any of the big three, but I can’t find anything else that works well enough for my tastes.

10. Jon says:

I am confused as to why Google would be in opposed to wireless net neutrality wouldn’t net neutrality help their business by getting more wireless people online and using Google?

11. The Tea Party has come out officially against Net Neutrality.

Doh!

12. After almost two years they still can’t decide if Obama is a communist or fascist.

The term “useful idiots” comes to mind.

13. Opinion: Protecting Net Neutrality From The Neutricidal Telcos

The Internet community needs to force regulators to preserve net neutrality. But it’ll be tricky to write laws that define net neutrality without destroying what they’re trying to protect, says Internet activist Cory Doctorow.

14. I use my cell for one thing making phone calls. Instead of dumping your carrier, dump you data plan.
    Stop using Google, dump your data plan. It much better to not be so connected anyway. I don’t text, email, search on my cell, it’s just a phone. They make such huge profits on data anyway. Kill this issue by killing your data plan, sends a much more targeted message.
    And like I said, people are way to obsessed and connected. Having data on your phone is just another way for big business to control you. You won’t die, you might jones a bit, but everything will be OK.

I know, no more checking email while on the toilet, but that a rather sad practice when you think about it.
    Stop the madness! :)

15. Because you and I aren’t smart enough to make decisions for ourselvs. Government can do it so much better…note sarcasm

16. AviD says:

While I am all for switching to alternatives (I’m personally not partial to google search anyway…), this actually shows lack of understanding of the whole net neutrality issue.
    Net neutrality basically comes down to QoS – Quality of Service – a basic and critical element of proper network design. For example, communication priority for VOIP packets, over delivering an asynchronous HTML file.
    It is not about allowing a content vendor the privilege of granting priority to it’s own content. That would be senseless, and purposeless anyway since any restriction could easily be legally bypassed.
    I strongly suggest you learn a little more about network technology, and then start calling for the government to stick to what they know (if you could find such a thing…), and leave the technology and network design to the experts that know how to do it right.